Monday, January 26, 2015

Why I left The Artificial Flower Company.

I'm using this momentum I have right now to make clear a few of the reasons why I left the greatest band in the world.:



 I'll try to be as concise as possible. There's a lot of things I could write and a lot of places I could take this. Mostly, this is for the people I know personally that will find this information relevant to them so excuse any esotericisms.


I've had a really hard time being social in my life. I've been scared of other people since I was a kid. I'm done trying to figure out why. I'm also especially done running away. My band mates didn't seem to have a lot of interest in interacting with the other bands in the city which put me (at least in some way) at odds with the scene. I don't like this. Music is the one of the few things that lets me connect with other people in a dignified way. I don't want to sabotage that.


A serious lack of a real business model. I'm not about making money primarily but everyone expense the band takes on is a liability at this point. We didn't even earn our beer money back. I've got rent to pay. I've got college and shit to pay for. It'd be nice to at least break even. Super 78! doesn't break even either but at least we play shows semi-consistently and get to go on tour. When was the last Artificials tour?


A lack of any real short or long term goals. No offense Andres but no one's just going to drop into your life and give you money for making quirky little pop songs. There's a certain amount of (real) sacrifice you have to make. You're going to eventually have to do some things that don't jive with your, "vision." There are a lot of people working much harder than and that are much more talented than you that aren't going to make it. Why should you? Oh yeah--- Because you're some kind of prodigy or something. That's right.


Narcissism. Ick. Connor and Andres, you are very nice people but what you do to yourselves just to cover up the most trivial insecurities you have is disgusting and cowardly. I'm sorry the cool kids don't want to hang out with you. Learn to deal with it. Read some Marcus Aurelius or something. To quote Ice Cube, "Nigga, if you scared go to church." There's a lot more to this than is appropriate for a blog post but I can't be around that anymore. Especially in a creative relationship.


Lack of definite roles. You know, I was happy to be in a support role with Andres acting as the centerpiece. Love is following. but when I'm acting as producer/mixer/ect... That's my job and I'm going to do it the way I see best fit. I was getting really tired of Andres telling me (often times very naively) how to do things or insisting that we follow his speed-addict approach to making recordings. I'm glad you were able to make such a huge catalog of recordings using that approach but it only can take you so far. Also I don't like, "speed" very much at all.


All in all though I wish the band the best. That goes for Tagg and Martin as well. I'm still probably the biggest fan of the band in the world but I don't wish to a member anymore. I hope you get what you're after. Truly. --Kyler A. Watson (The Rain, Super 78!)

No comments:

Post a Comment